Difficulties with Mask Scent

Discussion for the outdoorsmen of Starsider
Aritana

Difficulties with Mask Scent

Post by Aritana » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:15 pm

Right now I have +125 Mask Scent. When I approach aggro mobs my level (conning blue or white), MS doesn’t often break while I am prone and scooting up towards the mobs (Although earlier today while prone, very carefully shooting at max range with a rifle at the nest until the mobs appear and I peace out, my MS immediately broke and I was set upon by two nearest aggro.)

But as an MBE, the aggro critters will attack me about 30-40% of the time after taking DNA, which then, of course, drops my MS, and everything in the vicinity aggros.

I do not recall this difficulty happening in retail. I had a MScout, MBE, no combat skills except for novice rifle – and zero trouble back then. I remember easily taking down entire nests of merek and anglers on Endor, no sweat, maximizing all the DNA I could take without one single MS break. Or if it did break, if I remember correctly, as long as I was standing still I could remask and everything would continue, no attacks.

I hope this is just something that needs to be worked on? I honestly don't think it's working as intended. And it makes creating BE pets much harder, certainly (since I end up killing 80% of the mobs due to constant attacks). I do see there is some controversy mentioned on the SWGEmu site --

https://www.swgemu.com/archive/scrapboo ... guide.html

Any other Rangers out there also having difficulty?

Aritana

Re: Difficulties with Mask Scent

Post by Aritana » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:56 pm

Okay -- after some thought, I believe this is what is happening --

1. Freshly spawned mobs check if the character is within aggro radius BEFORE it checks if the character has Mask Scent up. If the character is in that radius, Mask Scent immediately drops, and those critters will attack. This occurs even if you are prone. (I took a screenshot of this effect.)

2. During taking DNA, if it fails, this immediately breaks Mask Scent, and all aggressive mobs within aggro radius will attack as well.

From my memory of retail--

1. Mask Scent was checked first when mobs spawn from the nest.

2. After a bad DNA sampling, only that one aggressive critter will attack. Mask Scent doesn’t break, and all others stay put, ignoring your character.

Thus, the Mask Scent bonuses matter only if you are prone, moving forward, or moving around the mobs. Mask Scent is automatically dropped no matter what your skill level is during these two events (mob spawning, and a failed DNA sampling).

I also recall that if you are merely standing near aggressive mobs, and Mask Scent drops, as long as you don't move, you can reapply it. That's how a friend of mine on retail got so much Kiindray DNA...

Are these differences in retail vs. emu intended? Or should this be moved up to bugs (or known issues?)

Anishor

Post by Anishor » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:31 am

There have been no modifications to creature AI or mask scent here. Can you please try this on basilisk to verify if eif bug

Aritana

Post by Aritana » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:25 am

I might have a Master Scout on Basilisk.. not sure. I will see!

Edit: I have a master scout (almost a master Ranger), but no Master BE for testing the DNA sampling fails, which on EiF automatically drops Mask Scent -- and causes all critters in aggro radius to attack.

Aritana

Post by Aritana » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:03 pm

Alas, I have been roaming around with Mask Scent on Nova TC as well as here - and they work the same. I can crawl and have no difficulty (MS holds 100%), but MS will break when the DNA-sampled critter gets a bit angry. And yes, the whole pack aggro!

So... I must have a faulty memory! *blush* Ah well. It was nice to test it on Nova TC. Sorry for my doubts!

Seedyjee

Post by Seedyjee » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:42 am

Aritana wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:56 pm
Okay -- after some thought, I believe this is what is happening --

1. Freshly spawned mobs check if the character is within aggro radius BEFORE it checks if the character has Mask Scent up. If the character is in that radius, Mask Scent immediately drops, and those critters will attack. This occurs even if you are prone. (I took a screenshot of this effect.)
This must be something new because it didn't use to do this..If they spawned while I was taming as long as I had mask scent up and was prone I was fine.