HAM

heferendum

HAM

Post by heferendum » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:36 pm

Health seems to be working as it should.
Action and mind do similar things so...
I am assuming thing should be working as if I am buffed, and mind and action bar should be depleted as per the combat log.

While in combat, specifically Aa'kuans(Same thing happens with other mobs Aa'kuans just happens to be where I looked into it), I noticed that my action and mind bar get depleted by more than half with one hit(admittedly they regen very very fast). So, I flipped to my combat queue, and brought up my character sheet/status tab.

While watching my combat queue I noticed sometimes the npc would kick into an attack animation and nothing would be listed on my queue hit or miss, and either my action or mind bar would be reduced by some 3k. Sometimes I would get hit in the helm and mind bar would go down 3k (combat queue would say something like used attack blah blah and did 238 points damage helm blocked 48) instead of going down 190 points, my action or mind would go down around 3k. Same thing would happen with leg hits. Bar depletion matched character sheet status tab depleted by around 3k.

Sometimes I would get hit in the chest and mind or action bar would go down some 3k, sometimes my health would go down, but only a small amount(whatever the combat queue indicated it should). I am armored with a mini suit. None of the above numbers are exact, before I could begin to calculate how much damage I actually took, regen began, I am approximating, but not exaggerating.

Health does not take these kinds of hits, it acts just as I am used to a buffed stat acting. I am from Basilisk server, and am admittedly unfamiliar with how things should work here, but with the massive difference with how the health bar behaves vs the action and mind, I thought I would mention this.

If this is working as intended, please forgive.

I do not mind taking you to the Aa'kuan cave POI and showing you this in person, just catch me when I am on, and not afk. Or come to me while I am afk, the same thing will be happening if I am not dead. For a few days I will be camping Aa'kuans when I am not atk. I am not always at the POI though.

Anishor

Re: HAM

Post by Anishor » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:11 pm

heferendum wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:36 pm
Health seems to be working as it should.
Action and mind do similar things so...
I am assuming thing should be working as if I am buffed, and mind and action bar should be depleted as per the combat log.

While in combat, specifically Aa'kuans(Same thing happens with other mobs Aa'kuans just happens to be where I looked into it), I noticed that my action and mind bar get depleted by more than half with one hit(admittedly they regen very very fast). So, I flipped to my combat queue, and brought up my character sheet/status tab.

While watching my combat queue I noticed sometimes the npc would kick into an attack animation and nothing would be listed on my queue hit or miss, and either my action or mind bar would be reduced by some 3k. Sometimes I would get hit in the helm and mind bar would go down 3k (combat queue would say something like used attack blah blah and did 238 points damage helm blocked 48) instead of going down 190 points, my action or mind would go down around 3k. Same thing would happen with leg hits. Bar depletion matched character sheet status tab depleted by around 3k.

Sometimes I would get hit in the chest and mind or action bar would go down some 3k, sometimes my health would go down, but only a small amount(whatever the combat queue indicated it should). I am armored with a mini suit. None of the above numbers are exact, before I could begin to calculate how much damage I actually took, regen began, I am approximating, but not exaggerating.

Health does not take these kinds of hits, it acts just as I am used to a buffed stat acting. I am from Basilisk server, and am admittedly unfamiliar with how things should work here, but with the massive difference with how the health bar behaves vs the action and mind, I thought I would mention this.

If this is working as intended, please forgive.

I do not mind taking you to the Aa'kuan cave POI and showing you this in person, just catch me when I am on, and not afk. Or come to me while I am afk, the same thing will be happening if I am not dead. For a few days I will be camping Aa'kuans when I am not atk. I am not always at the POI though.
Players have a dmg modifier applied to incoming mind and action pools.

Ekoostik1

Post by Ekoostik1 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Does it not seem like an inordinate amount of HAM is expended per action in combat? I'm burning more than 3k per swing which basically means I can swing once and then hope the enemy doesn't take advantage of my near death state before it regenerates (admittedly quite quickly). Should specials be using so much of the HAM per swing or am I bugged? It's virtually impossible to queue more than one hit.

AgentOrangeJuice

Post by AgentOrangeJuice » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:29 pm

I don't know enough about how that stuff's calculated to be able to tell you whether that's normal or not, buuuut I know you don't have to worry about a near-death experience. Here, players only incap when the Health pool is empty. :)
"In my defense, I was left unsupervised."

Dramatis Personae:
  • Cpt. Davyn Jassik; Starfighter Pilot, NRSC; Human Male from Ralltiir
  • Jenniveve K'Barrek; Troublemaker; Human Female from Thyferra

Halyn
Site Admin

Post by Halyn » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:31 am

That's been one of our combat changes. Note that you can't be incapped on action or mind here, only health.

There's a number of things you can do to help mitigate your action costs. Stat migration is the big one - my combat-oriented characters generally have maxed action subpools to maximize regeneration and help bring down action costs on specials.

Also take a look at the weapon you're using - you might want to investigate in a lower HAM cost. Alternately, a weapon with a worse refire rate and better damage may calculate out better, since you'll have more time for your HAM to recharge between specials. Auto-attacks aren't terrible here, either, due to damage stats - sometimes you need a round of autoattack to get action/mind back for a big hit.

If you're a smuggler or BH, you can also cycle in their profession-specific specials - while your pistoleer or swordsman specials use action, smuggler and BH specials use mind.

Food for thought! Our combat system is heavily modified from standard pre-CU, so don't hesitate to ask questions.

Ekoostik1

Post by Ekoostik1 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:55 am

I realized this after I posted. I just needed to break from the mindset of spamming aoe attacks to spun lairs to death. I had read the combat was revampwd to be more intuitive and less grind but wasn't sure how. I didn't mnow about the Action and Mind being for specials only and health being the only way to incap so that is goos to know. I just modified my start to use single target then auto then lower cost single target and then things got better.

I have to say, though I was one of the loudest supporters for pre-cu and recreating it as it was, in all its glory, any pre-cu fan should give this place a try. It really is nicely done. Just has a learninf curve for us older folks. Like changing my "all into mind/focus/willpower" combat sta migrations to all into Health, and the 2 subs for green/blue. Could probably get away with lower A and M, no?