Empire in Flames turns six months old tomorrow! Since we launched EiF a Friday Feature has been put together nearly every week! (except one, oops.) The staff and community has found over the past months that we’ve referred to these posts over and over and over! So now you have an archive of them to easily reference for personal use or to direct a new player to the information!
EiF knew combat would not be fully balanced when we went live. Over the past months we’ve had a much larger player base using our system than the 5-10 players pre-launch on the test center. Our community’s feedback has been invaluable. I reviewed the Q & A with the Devs, to be sure this was the most accurate and up-to-date information. There are a few changes, such as with the armor.
Below is the current state of EiF’s combat systems, as it relates to Professions and Skills.
EiF is about player choice and counter play in our balance.
Professions vs Skills
The New Profession System and Skill Trees: One of the core ideas of EiF was to separate “What you do” from “How you do it”. “What you do” are your Professions – Bounty Hunter, Commando, Doctor, Entertainer, Merchant, Ranger, Smuggler, and Squad Leader. Any person can pick any profession; they cost 0 skill points, but a person can only have one of those professions at a time. Professions grant non-combat abilities and some combat specials, but no combat modifiers – for example, picking Smuggler doesn’t give you extra pistol speed/accuracy/etc.
Skills are the “How you do it”, and it’s almost everything else from the original skill trees. Pistoleer, Carbineer, Rifleman, TKA, Fencer, etc, plus your crafting skills and dancer/musician/image designer. Those do require skill points, so you mix-and-match to your heart’s content, up to 250 points worth. The trees are recalculated so that you can basically take two and a half skill trees; I suspect most players will have a line or two of Medic in their builds, but some of our testers already surprised me on that point by forgoing it for more defensive modifiers.
Weapons or Armor
Core Based Crafting System
Separates the appearance from the performance
Crafting revamped -Damage is substantially higher and resists cap much lower than 90%
All stats have been revamped to actually matter on a weapon. Assuming similar crafting, pistols will be faster than carbines which are faster than rifles. Rifles have higher damage than carbines which have more damage than pistols.
Accuracy calculations come into play; a melee character on top of a rifleman will absolutely destroy him, but at 64 meters the rifleman will shred a melee character.
Additional weapons, including some from the NGE will be added as EiF progresses
A recent tease from Halyn was an A280-CFE which is a convertible weapon. With the proper certifications (details coming soon(™)) it can be switched between a pistol, carbine, or rifle.
Armor piercing/armor level have been removed from calculations, as it pushed players to AP3-only weapons (or stun!)
Not all about Composite anymore, appearance is separated from performance
Armor is capped at 60% resists
Suits of factional armor will come in with the GCW patch. The Imperial and Rebel variants of Mandalorian armor will be part of the Mandalore patch
All armor and weapons decay
An armorsmith can best repair armor
A weaponsmith can best repair weapons
Any player can use a repair kit, but the master AS and WS have better chance of not breaking the piece and getting a better repair
Crafting stations improve chances of a good repair
The HAM/buff system has been inverted. Pre-CU features low base HAM and extremely strong buffs; EiF flipped that, so players start with high HAM and buffs add around 10% total.
Starting HAM is closer to 5000
No longer incapped by depletion of:
Action and mind bars can still be targeted by other players, even if they can’t force an incap. During, say, a 4v4, a valid tactic may be for one or two players on each side to focus on keeping the enemy healer’s mind bar locked down to prevent them from throwing heals.
Players only incap on the health bar.
Action and Mind regenerates faster
3-4 sec from empty to full
Action and mind regen very fast, but specials actually /use/ action and mind – firing a pistol special, for example, might take 30% of your action bar, but a few seconds later you’ll be back at full action.
Health is regenned faster by sitting
No species starting differentiation for HAM
Not capped at 1 atk/sec, but 75% reduction of weapon speed
With a focus on speed all the way down (speed crafted, speed sliced, speed PuPed) pistols can fire well faster than once per second…but given HAM costs for specials, it’s not real practical.
Speed is calculated differently. HAM costs and encumbrance matter. AP is no longer factored into damage calcs. High HAM and low buffs. Lower armor protections.
Dizzy/KD doesn’t work the same way here.
Dizzy is only a 15% chance to K/D you on posture change, not 85% that is is traditionally
Dizzy however affects you offensively, reduces your accuracy
Stacks with Blind
Reduces your primary defenses by 20%
Primary Defense– caps at 125
SL bonus pushes the cap above 125
Pikatta Pie – pushes the cap about 125 too
Secondary Defenses – caps at 125
Dodge – Pistols/ 1H mele
Counter attack – Carbines/2H Melee
Block – Rifles/Pikeman
Defensive Acuity – Unarmed
In the future we’ve talked about adding in schematics that drop with different combinations, such as a dodging polearm.
SEAs help to reach Cap, but not push above the cap. Still keeps the cap of +25 to one stat from all your attachments.
Moved status from doc buffs into base stats, so now unbuffed you are close to what a doc buffed character was. Doc buffs only increase stats by about an additional 5% ( as was intended in Raph Koster’s initial design )
No longer required for play, intended to be at same power as other buffs such as food and drinks
No Doc Bots
Buffs are weak on EiF
Ent Buffs are reduced from Live
The classic SWG model is “low HAM, high buffs” – we’ve swapped that around, so you natively have high HAM with buffs providing far less of an increase. Playing without buffs is perfectly feasible; in PvP, buffs give an edge.
Further tweaking to ensure Doc buffs are viable is planned, but not outside the scope of current design. Atm they’re a bit underpowered.
Professions– Profession skills require the ‘mind’ pool to activate.
Racial Bonuses – Some bonuses do affect combat.
Thank you, Anishor, for helping me to put this together!